Thursday, February 16, 2012

and some more cooking.

Well...it seems I haven't mastered this blogging thing yet.  I couldn't get back to my draft to add the "finishing touch"  to my Grandmere's Pudding.
Aldina's Tart Sauce  

1 cup sugar                                               1 cup boiling water
2 T. corn starch                                         2 -3 T. cider vinegar

Mix sugar and cornstarch in saucepan.   Add boiling water and cook on low till thickened,  stirring constantly.     Add vinegar to taste.
Again, to taste is somewhat hard to define if you've never had the sauce, so use your own judgement .  The sauce will be a lovely golden color.

Christmas Eve was always such an "event"  when I was a child.  We had a very large house and my Grandparents lived down while we lived up.  All the holiday dinners were held in the very large formal dining room and attended by Aunts and Uncles, cousins and any other "shirt-tail" relatives , as my father called them, who happened to be in town. (some of them were very large, too)  First it was Midnight Mass, and it actually was held at Midnight!   Then it was back to the house for the traditional  food and a bit of toasting.  Then...here's the important part...we were allowed to open our gifts.  Joyeux Noel!  I don't recall the actual getting into bed, so I must have been carried or sleep-walked to my room.  No need to get up early the next day.  Come to think of it, there was always a Christmas dinner, too.  Someone lost some sleep.  I must ask my sister, who is much older than I,  who cooked that Christmas day meal. 
Now that we've had a non-writing , memory sort of page, I'll have to actually use my imagination and write for the next post.   Till then....read, dance, enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment