Monday, February 18, 2013

Scat, Cat! Chapter 4

As you can see, I've posted the next chapter of Scat, Cat.

Hope you enjoy.





Chapter Four: Hide and Seek



Hunter traveled far that day, only stopping to eat and drink. He noticed that the houses of the Big Ones were nowhere to be seen and that the dark mysterious trees were closer and closer together. When it was time for sleep, Hunter wormed his way through the tangled grass until he found a cave-like space under some leafy bushes. He noticed that his fur was covered with little prickly seeds and his eye was beginning to itch and water. “I’d better catch up on my grooming, or no one will want to give me a home.” After a good wash-up, he settled down and tried to rest, but each little whisper of wind or rustle of grass made him startle and worry about who or what could be out there.
He must have fallen asleep at some point, for the next thing he knew there was daylight peeping into his shelter, along with a strange furry face. Hunter jumped up, arching his back. “Who and what are you?” he spat. “Leave me in peace, for I want no argument with a creature that smells like you!”
The stranger backed away with a mysterious little laugh. Hunter could see that it was black and white, just like him, but he knew it was not one of the People… definitely not.
My name is DigsGrubs and you are certainly no danger to me, little Hisser. In fact, if I chose to, I could give you a painful little surprise.”
Hunter was amazed that he could understand the other’s speech. There was a curious lilt to it, but basically it was the same as that of the People.
Sorry, Mr. Digsgrubs, but I was just startled, I guess. How is it that you and I speak the same language? You are not one of the People.”
Ah, little Hisser, I can see you haven’t been around the meadow, so to speak. All Nature’s children speak the same language. Sadly, there are some who have forgotten it, like the Big Ones and a few of the Swimmers and Slitherers. Yes, it is a tragic thing, I’m thinkin’.”
How curious! Thank you for the information. It’s good to know that I’ll be able to speak with other creatures I might meet in my travels. But let me introduce myself. My name is Hunter and you shouldn’t have surprised me like that. I’m not familiar with this place and there are many enemies here.”
Enemies! If you’re so afraid of enemies, you should have been more vigilant, my friend. I was able to find you with no trouble at all. In the future, you’d best be more alert.”
Hunter realized that this was certainly good advice and decided to see what else he might learn from his curious new acquaintance. “Greetings and apologies to you Digsgrubs. I must have fallen asleep. I’m glad it was you who found me and not someone more menacing. Uh, DigsGrubs, I don’t mean to be impolite, but you, um…well… um… you kind of smell funny.”
That’s my surprise, Hunter. It’s my secret weapon, since I can’t run fast or climb trees like you can. Only last night I had to give some of the Howlers a good lesson with my spray.”
Howlers! Are they still here? Where are they? I was warned about them. I’ve got to run away, if they’re still here.”
Ah, don’t worry, they’re all asleep now and you can smell ‘em a field away, thanks to me. If you travel tonight, though, under the round White-Eye, you may run into ‘em. They love to run and howl and hunt poor, unfortunate, wee ones when the White-Eye is up. But Hunter, now that we’ve introduced ourselves, maybe you can fill me in on your story. I’m sure you have one. By the looks of you, you’re in the middle of some adventure, I’ll bet. Just where are you headed, if you don’t mind me askin’?”
It’s a long story, DigsGrubs, are you sure you want to hear it?”
Aye, that I do, little Hunter. I don’t get to speak with strangers very often and I like to hear their tales of the wide world when I get the chance.”
Okay, DigsGrubs, but remember, you asked for it.” So Hunter again began his story and he could see DigsGrubs eyes getting bigger and bigger as his tale came to an end. “Well, that’s about it, I guess, but it all boils down to my search for a new home, I hope with some kindly Big Ones. Do you know if any live near here?”
I’m the wrong one to ask about the Big Ones, kindly or otherwise. They want nothin’ to do with the likes of me and from the sound of em’, I want nothin’ to do with them either! Course I really don’t have much to do with any other kind of critter. We Stripers have to stick together, if you know what I mean. I do know that there’s a Big One’s house about three fields further down the path. There’s already a Hisser like you livin’ there, but they might take you in. At least you might find a good hidin’ place if the Howlers catch your scent.”
Thank you, DigsGrubs. I might as well find myself something to eat and get started. Good hunting and long life to you.”
I thank thee too, Hunter. You’re the most polite Hisser I’ve ever met, I must say. Keep your wits about you and have a safe journey. It was a pleasure meetin’ you. I must be off to the Missus. She’ll be wonderin’ where I’ve been, but at least I’ll have an interesting tale to tell when I get back to the burrow. Good huntin’ to you too, little Hisser.”
So Hunter began another leg of his journey, thinking of DigsGrubs and the others he had met. He was already missing their company and good advice but his education in the ways of the world was growing by leaps and bounds and for this he gave thanks to Bast and all his lucky stars.
Well, the first order of business must be breakfast. It will have to be something quick. I want to get as far away from the Howlers as I can when it starts to get dark.”
So Hunter made his way through the meadow, till he found some tasty looking Crickets, hiding in the shade of an old tree limb. He was not very satisfied with his meal, but it would have to do. He made his way back to the path and started his search for the house that DigsGrubs had mentioned. Just when he thought he couldn’t walk a step farther, it came into view. It was a rambling white house, standing at the end of a long stony path, on the top of a small wooded hill.
Well, this must be the place. It looks inviting and there is a Big One right there in the path. He’s doing something to his Rumbler, but at least the Rumbler isn’t rumbling right now. I think I’ll take a chance.” Hunter started trotting up the stony path, trying his best to catch the Big One’s attention. “Mew? Mew? Prrrow?”
The Big One finally turned to Hunter, but instead of a kindly welcome; he shouted the familiar, “Get lost, Cat” and picked up what looked like a long green Slitherer. Hunter stopped dead in his tracks.
What can the Big One possibly be doing with a Slitherer?” He didn’t have long to wait for his answer. The Big One pointed the Slitherer at Hunter and out poured a frigid stinging stream of water, thoroughly dousing the little Cat. Hunter turned and fled; too frightened to even watch where he was going. He dashed across the hard path just barely ahead of a speeding Rumbler. He finally came to a trembling halt at the edge of a gurgling stream.
Oh no, not more water! That’s exactly what I don’t need.” He looked around and found himself in a small valley with lots of trees and bushes and small little hidey-holes bordering the banks of the stream.
I’ve got to find a safe place and pull myself together. Then I must dry myself off before it gets dark and cold.” He spotted a half-broken tree branch, covered with wild grapevines. The vines were very thick and hung all the way to the ground. Inside it was dry and cozy, the perfect spot to gather his wits and tend to his fur.
I hope that no one else likes to use this place,” he said shakily. “I don’t think I can travel one more step tonight.” So in he went and got to work trying to dry himself off. He noticed that he still had some sticky seeds in his fur and his eye was really starting to feel strange, sort of gummy and tingly. When his grooming was over, he curled up in the smallest little ball that he could possibly make and tried to console himself. “I’ve got to believe that DigsGrubs and Snow were right,” he whimpered. “THAT house certainly didn’t have any kindly Big Ones. I must keep trying. I must keep trying.” Hunter kept repeating this hopeful phrase until he finally dozed off. This night he dreamt of his Mother and again heard her sing about the brave and clever Cat. If anyone was watching, they would have noticed a tiny little smile on the small Cat’s face, but there was no one to see, save one careless moth that fluttered in and quickly fluttered out.
The moon was riding high in the sky when Hunter awoke to a sound that he had been dreading. From somewhere in the little valley came howls and yips and yaps that made his blood run cold. It was the sound of the Howlers and it seemed to be getting closer. As Hunter lay there, frozen with fear, he realized he could make out words in the frightful chorus.



We howl and yowl. We’re on the prowl.
Beware. Beware.
We pounce and tear, be it foul or fair.
Beware. Beware.
We search for meat. We need to eat.
Beware. Beware. Beware!”


Hunter knew he needed to move, and fast! He scrambled out from his little nest and up the nearest tree. Up and up he went, until the branches and leaves were thick enough to hide him from view. He held himself as still as possible as the pack came closer and closer. Soon he could see them coming, running in a loose disorderly group, the moonlight reflecting in their yellow eyes. Just as Hunter thought they would pass right by him, the largest Howler yowled out in his rough voice.
Halt, all of you! We will stop here to rest and drink.” The pack splashed around in the water, still yipping and growling at one another. “Silence, you foolish puppies! How do you expect to find prey if you continue your senseless noise?” The Howlers then began to settle down in twos and threes, while others drank and others kept watch.
Hunter was afraid to even move an eyelash and clung to his branch with all his might. After what seemed like hours, the pack below seemed to be getting ready to move on. The leader was just beginning to trot off with the others behind him, when he put his nose into the air and scented the wind.
Wait, my friends. There is a delicious aroma drifting on the breeze. Can you smell it? Tender, juicy… my mouth is watering just thinking about it. It’s a Hisser…not too far away, either. Help me track it down.” The Howlers put their noses to the ground and thoroughly searched the glen. It didn’t take them long to find the place where Hunter had slept. “Here! Here! This is where it hid,” they yipped. The leader came over and gave the spot a thorough sniffing. “Yes, it was here, but someone else was here more recently. One of the Pricklers has visited here, not too long ago. His scent leads up into that tree. We want no arguments with one of them, do we? A few of you youngsters still have some sharp reminders of your last encounter with a Prickler. I know you’re all hungry, but let’s move on. There’ll be easier prey somewhere else. And keep your wits about you…no noise this time. My stomach needs filling tonight.”
So the pack drifted away like smoke, slowly disappearing into the night until the little valley was empty once more. Empty except for one frightened little Cat and a chance companion that had probably saved his life.


No comments:

Post a Comment